Here's what The Guardian newspaper had to say about us... 'Not far from the Derry City walls, this unassuming hostel has a trick or two up its sleeve. The dining room, for instance, has been transformed by the globe-trotting owners into a little piece of old Bombay complete with low tables, wall hangings and sundry Indian exotica garnered in backstreet markets. The prices are sub-continental too...' THE GUARDIAN 3 FEBRUARY 2009 GUIDEBOOK REVIEWS 'Every hostel should strive to engender the warm vibe that Steve and Kylie have created here... fun and funky.' LONELY PLANET 2010 'With so much imagination, effort…
Here's what The Guardian newspaper had to say about us...
'Not far from the Derry City walls, this unassuming hostel has a trick or two up its sleeve. The dining room, for instance, has been transformed by the globe-trotting owners into a little piece of old Bombay complete with low tables, wall hangings and sundry Indian exotica garnered in backstreet markets. The prices are sub-continental too...'
THE GUARDIAN 3 FEBRUARY 2009
'Every hostel should strive to engender the warm vibe that Steve and Kylie have created here... fun and funky.'
LONELY PLANET 2010
'With so much imagination, effort and expense invested into this hostel, it's little wonder that crowds flock to fill this hostels beds year after year. Book ahead.'
LETS GO IRELAND 2007
'Original player Derry City Independent Hostel is where you should go first. Be warned, you may get caught in the Derry Vortex and never want to leave.'
MTV IRELAND 2006
We have the best location of any hostel in Derry. Check the map! We are a couple of minutes from the bogside murals and 5 minutes from the city walls
We came to Derry 13 years ago as backpackers and absolutely loved it. We then set up our own wee hostel and have been welcoming other backpackers ever since. We still do a lot of travelling ourselves and so we have a pretty good idea of what other travellers like you are looking for.
As our name suggests we are independent and therefore not part of a national chain of hostels or owned by a big company who specialises in large groups of people. Our hostel is small and personal and we therefore concentrate our energy on independent travellers like you as we have always done for the last 13 years.
WHAT TO EXPECT IN OUR HOSTEL
1. A quiet nights sleep in a CLEAN bed.
2. HOT showers in a clean bathroom.
3. Free breakfast of cereals & toast.
4. Free internet and WIFI.
5. Free pub crawls. Derry has the reputation for being one of the best places to see live music in Ireland. Most nights you are welcome to join our staff as they take people out to some of the best city centre pubs. We vary our route depending on what is on on any given night but will usually end the night in Peadar O'donnells pub ensuring that you are guaranteed to at least see some traditional Irish music on your visit.
6. A movie collection with over 200 movies for you to watch any time, including all the Irish classics.
7. Free tea and coffee 24 hours. We realise as travellers, just how difficult it is to carry around a pint of milk and a kilo of sugar in your backpack (believe us we have tried!) so we provide this free of charge all of the time.
8. A friendly welcome. Our Staff have justifiably earned the reputation as being some of the friendliest staff in any hostel around. 92% ******** rating says it all. You will be welcomed with a smile. We will then provide you with a free city map and show you where to find all the hotspots, ie murals, city walls, pubs, restaurants, museums, art galleries, and of course the Tesco supermarket at the bottom of our street (everything is literally just around the corner from us.)
9. FREE PARKING. Although we are located in the city centre, there is plenty of free parking available in our street, directly in front of the hostel.
10. A peek into Aladdin's cave. Over the last ten years we've travelled to many exotic places, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Nepal, Turkey , Morocco, Syria, Egypt, Patagonia, Iguazu, to name but a few, and from these travels we have brought back lots of bits and pieces to decorate our hostels. We have transformed our dining room into a virtual Aladdin's Cave with low tables and low seats, lots of beautiful wall-hangings and many interesting artefacts scattered around. You will be transported to another time and another place. Which after all, if you are a traveller, is where you want to be.
SO WHERE DO YOU WANT TO BE?
Come and stay with us and you will fall in love with Derry.
Who says so? Well for a start you do. Backpackers have consistently voted us as one of the BEST HOSTELS IN IRELAND, but other people also agree. You will find our hostel highly acclaimed in every major guide book: Lonely Planet , Lets Go, Rough Guide , Routarde , MTV, Neos , Moon Guides , etc.
See you soon!
Las cancelaciones deben realizarse 2 días antes de la fecha de reserva, de lo contrario el establecimiento está autorizado a cobrar una noche de estancia por persona.
Nuestros correos electrónicos de confirmación pueden utilizarse como pruebas de viajes para un consulado.
Múltiples nombres se pueden ingresar en los correos electrónicos de confirmación.